Switching to Linux

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu May 9 14:28:10 EDT 2013

Well, a GUI is always going to be slower than a CUI.  But I used to have
Windows 7 on this worstation, the one I'm typing this message on rigght
now. And linux is approximately as fast a Windows 7. Launching
Thunderbird and Firefox take approximately the same time.

I have a quad-core I5 with 8Gb of RAM though. That's pretty big/fast.