speakup goes oops/bye-bye on wheezy

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Jun 29 02:31:18 EDT 2013

acollins at icsmail.net <acollins at icsmail.net> wrote:
> So how are you guys getting Speakup in wheezy to co exist with pulse
> audio?  I was experimenting with the live cd, and was starting it by hand,
> and it still was crashing, even though I wasn't using the quiet
> parameter.  I had to disable pulse audio in order to get speakup to stay
> up, which ment my gnome session was in accessible.

On my laptop, it all just worked without any additional configuration. I have
Speakup and Espeakup installed, as well as PulseAudio, which is configured (as
is the default) as the default audio output destination in Alsa.

I haven't seen any crashes or problems with this configuration. The sound card
is an on-board Intel audio device.