Alpine remembering passwords

Cheryl Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 16:34:02 EST 2013

I think mutt is more complicated than Alpine; once you get it set up the way you want it, it's fine but the setup is more than a pain at least imo.

As for the password issue, you have to have an alpine that was compiled to handle that. If so, you create a .pine-passfile in your home directory (notice the period in front of pine-passfile). The first time you use alpine after that it asks for your password and then may ask if you want it preserved for the next login. After that, it shouldn't ask any more or only rarely. This works on my arch linux installation in vmware fusion but doesn't work with my Macports ersion of alpine that I use from terminal on my Mac occasionally. I believe you use the touch command to do the passfile and I don't remember if you also assign specific permissions to it. Also, I assume the filename is the same across linux distributions but I could be wrong.  If you are using imap you may still have to enter the password.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart