creating a speakup cli cd

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Feb 6 02:59:59 EST 2013

Before you do that, look at Vinux.  It's already based on Ubuntu and
includes Speakup, but it isn't specifically command line.  It also includes
Gnome and Orca.  I didn't recommend it to you previously because it seemed
to crash a lot in my tests, but that was quite a while ago.  Even if you go
ahead and build your own CD from scratch, Vinux has done a lot of the basic
steps for you.  To me, it doesn't make much sense to reinvent the wheel.  I
personally would rather see efforts focused on the Debian live CD since the
kernel already has Speakup included and it's just a matter of starting
software speech at boot.  I did some initial experiments in this regard and
it looked like it wouldn't take more than a few hours, but I admit that I
don't know anything about how the boot loader works.  There are already
packages to create a plain vanilla Debian live CD on your own system, so it
should just be a matter of adding the espeakup, espeak and speakup-tools
packages and making sure the startup scripts work.  I might give this
another go in a couple of weeks if no one beats me to it.