creating a speakup cli cd

Don Raikes DON.RAIKES at ORACLE.COM
Wed Feb 6 04:29:28 EST 2013

I am certainly open to looking at both ubuntu and debian as the base systems.

The problem with ubuntu and vinux is that the latest versions of ubuntu starting with precise utilize the unity desktop and that is a real accessibility nightmare.  I know there is a way to use the gnome-classic desktop but that seems a bit flaky to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Baechler [mailto:tony at baechler.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 1:00 AM
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
Subject: Re: creating a speakup cli cd

Before you do that, look at Vinux.  It's already based on Ubuntu and includes Speakup, but it isn't specifically command line.  It also includes Gnome and Orca.  I didn't recommend it to you previously because it seemed to crash a lot in my tests, but that was quite a while ago.  Even if you go ahead and build your own CD from scratch, Vinux has done a lot of the basic steps for you.  To me, it doesn't make much sense to reinvent the wheel.  I personally would rather see efforts focused on the Debian live CD since the kernel already has Speakup included and it's just a matter of starting software speech at boot.  I did some initial experiments in this regard and it looked like it wouldn't take more than a few hours, but I admit that I don't know anything about how the boot loader works.  There are already packages to create a plain vanilla Debian live CD on your own system, so it should just be a matter of adding the espeakup, espeak and speakup-tools packages and making sure the startup scripts work.  I might give this another go in a couple of weeks if no one beats me to it.

On 2/5/2013 10:55 AM, Don Raikes wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am starting work on a project to make a Speakup-enabled livecd that will boot to the console.
>

> The cd will be based on ubuntu precise and will include Speakup, espeakup and brltty for accessibility.
>
> Are there special parameters I need to pass to the kernel at boot to activate Speakup at start?

Have a good day,
Tony Baechler
tony at baechler.net