Tell Webaim you still use Speakup!

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 16:31:39 EST 2013

I'm actually glad you mentioned Speakup and Lynx. As a matter of fact, I
submitted a rather detailed comment at the end of my survey not only
mentioning Orca, but letting their staff know that the way I test my own
hand-coded websites for accessibility is by first testing them in Lynx,
Links and w3m with both Speakup and Orca. If all this stuff works, I
know my website is accessible to pretty much everyone, and I have lost
very little time in the process of building the website. SO I don't have
areas and landmarks, whatever those are, and I don't have all this
strange hidden text, so what the screen reader sees and what the end
user with eyeballs sees are extremely similar. So what, it works for
everyone, and I don't use those landmarks and regions the survey asked
about with my screen reader anyway, even though it supports them. Well,
I do use live regions to play the playroom website, which uses them
quite extensively for very useful things, but everywhere else, they just
tend to get in the way. I'm glad Orca does support these things, just in
case somehow they become useful, but for now, I build my websites clean
and simple without all kinds of clutter, and I do all I can to be sure
they just work no matter what browser someone happens to be using,
unless of course they use Internet Explorer, which I am unable to test.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"