speakup, audio solutions

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Tue Dec 3 04:14:51 EST 2013

I have also taken out pulseaudio and all I had to do was to add all the
users to the audio group, set speech-dispatcher to use alsa and all the
things I tried to use worked with sound.
One can still assosiate the applications needed to open files using
/etc/mailcap
One can even have one application opening the file in console mode and
another one opening the same file in graphics mode.
This is done by adding a test line to the mailcap entry which test if the
DISPLAY variable is set or not.
HTH, Willem