speakup, audio solutions

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 15:11:56 EST 2013

One major problem I've had with disabling Pulseaudio on any system whose
sound card only handles a single audio stream is latency with regard to
the ALSA Dmix plugin. I do now have a system that probably runs best
with such a setup, but I have found the latency associated with Dmix to
be quite problematic, and haven't yet found a way to adjust it so that I
can mix multiple audio streams without causing delays when interrupting
speech or enduring a seemingly unresponsive system overall. ALso, I
generally run GNOME with a fallback to the command line, usually in
cases where I intentionally break something in the graphical environment
and need to fix it, which is quite a bit more likely on the old laptop I
would be using to test a setup without Pulseaudio than on my desktop,
which I use for everyday tasks that require a working system, and does
not give me the freedom to break things. I do, however, need access to
both Orca/speech-dispatcher and Speakup/Espeakup on this system, so it
would certainly help to be able to use Dmix or another method of
handling multiple streams at once using Alsa witout Pulseaudio, if it
wasn't for the latency issues I have. If anyone has multiple streams
playing through a sound card that normally only plays a single stream
and at the same time has figured out how to solve the latency problems
with ALSA/Dmix, and if anyone has figured out how to keep Espeak from
chopping words/letters in speech-dispatcher using ALSA directly, please
let me know how to make this setup work correctly. You may certainly
contact me off-list to help me personally with such a setup, but I'm
thinking that many on this list may also be able to benefit as well.
Thanks for any help.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--