speakup, audio solutions

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Dec 3 01:57:05 EST 2013

Rob Hudson writes:
> If you have gnome or a variant installed, my understanding is that
> you can't remove pulse audio without breaking stuff.

Perhaps, but I don't find it has gotten in my way at all.

Maybe this is why I can't click on an audio stream in Firefox and have
it auto play, but this isn't how I want to use Firefox anyway. Instead,
I save the file on my hd and play it from one of my Speakup consoles
with mplayer. Frankly, I don't want FF playing music through the same
audio device I use for Orca. I understand there's configuration
somewhere in the gui for associating different types of audio streams
with different devices. I used to configure that. I don't bother
anymore.

Also, I know I don't have the earcons available in Gnome.

Orca itself works perfectly well, is very snappy, and just not a problem
in any way.

So, I can't say I mind whatever it is I've broken. It's just not
tripping me up yet.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200