speakup, audio solutions

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Dec 3 01:20:24 EST 2013

I only ever really worried about this in the rare instances that I've
been reduced to just one PC. Upgrade one at a time, is my motto.

But, in truth, what seems to happen far more often than a machine being
down and unusable, is me doing something dumb that causes some
particular task to become nonfunctional. It's possible that a package
upgrade can do this, too. The result is that mail just becomes unusable
in the usual way, or my phones don't work, or I don't have the GUI so
don't have Firefox, or my web pages are down, something like that. When
these things happen the actual cause can be elusive.

A recent example is that I broke my TLS authentication chain in outbound
mail. Incoming was fine, but I couldn't respond to anyone except to
postpone my outbound mail and then rsync that mbox up to my data center
based server where I could call up the messages from the postponed mbox
and send them out. Clunky, and annoying.

It turned out that I had never fully established TLS authentication over
IPv6. Once I figured out that was the problem, it took a few hours to
get everything back on track. But figuring out that this was the problem
took days. The logs weren't of any help, neither were the error
messages.

However, now that it's solved, I have the confidence that my mail is
going out properly encrypted both from my office desktop and from my
traveling laptop. Worked like a charm from Shenzhen, China the other
week, for instance.

Janina