Speakup-enabling recovery or administrative distributions

Techswing33 techswing33 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 16:43:23 EST 2013

Hello,

I'm wanting to use Speakup/Espeakup to enable speech in what are for
me now inaccessible circumstances.

The first is when using a distro for secure wiping a hard disk called
Derick's Boot and Nuke, DBAN. I've got a bunch of drives in both
personal and professional capacity that I need to securely erase prior
to sending them out.

The second circumstance is to enable speech on a distro called System
Rescue CD, for doing low level tasks on various Linux and Windows
boxes, resetting or clearing passwords, backing up partition
configurations, comes immediately to mind.

I'd like to remaster both of these distros, DBAN, and System Rescue
CD, with Speakup included. My emphasis will be software speech with
espeakup because I do not have a hardware synthesizer, so integrating
audio support would also be essential.

If anyone has done this i'd appreciate any help/pointers.

Thanks.
Dave.