speakup, audio solutions

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon Dec 2 19:00:52 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 09:44:18AM -0600, John G. Heim wrote:
> I'm no expert in this area but don't you guys worry that you are
> trying to hold back the ocean with a teaspoon?  You can't fight the
> march of technology. If pulse is the wave of the future, I would
> tend to want to get started working with it rather than tossing it
> aside.

I have to second what Janina said here. Your conclusion would be valid
if we were talking about m$ windows. In that world, if you want to
keep using windows, you have to go with the wave of the
future. However, we're talking about GNU/Linux here, where the end
user is supposed to be in control. If I don't want pulse on my system,
then I shouldn't be made to use it, just because I want to use gnome
for example. That's the windows way, not the linux way as far as I
figure anyway.

> I can understand an attitude of saying that you need to postpone an
> upgrade because the technology just isn't there yet. That's why I'm
> typing this message on a machine still running debian squeeze.  But
> as soon as I am sure I can switch to a newer distro that works, I'm
> doing it.

I have six machines (majority virtual) running wheezy here since end
of August. I honestly can't say that something doesn't work in
wheezy. Some things are different than they were in squeeze, but they
still work once you get used to the changes (E.G. gnome3).

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc