arch installation

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 17:47:51 EDT 2012

First of all, you will need to create
/etc/modules-load.d/speakup.conf
containing the following lines:

speakup
speakup_soft

Once you have done this, or if you did it already, you need the attached
file. I think it's not yet in the latest version of espeakup. Save the
attached file as
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/espeakup.service
on your Arch installation. Then do

sudo systemctl start espeakup
sudo systemctl enable espeakup.service

Speakup will start talking as soon as you enter the first command, and
will begin speaking automatically at boot time on the next reboot after
typing the second command. I hope the new systemd unit makes it into the
released version soon.

Note: a file similar to my attachment is now in the version of espeakup
in community-testing, so enabling that repo for now to pull in the
latest espeakup will also give you a talking system, although you will
still need to be sure the service is enabled.

sudo systemctl enable espeakup.service

Hope this helps.
~Kyle