more hardware speech and a question

Keith Barrett lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 10:14:50 EDT 2012

Further to my previous on this subject, I have a couple of observations
and a question.

In case any of this is useful, I downloaded the latest testing i386 and
am64 debian testing.

As suggested, I could not get hardware speech on either of them.  I got
software speech on the am64 but failed to with the i386 but I did not
spend much time trying to figure out why.

I also have a system which started out as squeeze and is now running
testing and hardware speech continues to work.

So, I have a 64 bytt machine and it seems for the moment, hardware
speech is not going to work so I am wondering if/how I can get software
speech working in the cli with speakup and with orca in the gui?

Also, I am hoping that software speech will be more reliable than it
seems to be in the gui, I cannot count the number of times when I have
depended on speakup and my old apollo after software speech in the gui
has stopped working.

Thanks for any pointers.

regards

keith