Installing orca and making it play nice with Speakup

Marcel Oats moats at orcon.net.nz
Fri Jan 27 12:48:02 EST 2012

Well I have tried installing the latest debian testing amd64, and it didn't
even install the desktop, even though I told it to install choices 1
(desktop) 6 (file server) and 10 (common system utilities.)
It seems that if I install gnome manually through apt, it installs, boots,
and yes we either have the same issues with Orca not speaking, or it isn't
installed? excuse me?

For us people who aren't all that familiar with how to make things work, I
do wish it was a fairly straightforward process to do something like this.

Yes, we do have software speech through speakup.
Many thanks in possible ignorance,
Marcel