Installing orca and making it play nice with Speakup

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jan 31 21:18:38 EST 2012

Littlefield, Tyler writes:
> First, I know there is a lot of trouble making speakup and orca work
> together, for example with audio. If I understand this right, pulse
> works through Alsa. Is there a way that Speakup could just be
> designated to work with Alsa, or perhaps Espeakup could be modified
> to work with Pulse, then everything could run happily through Pulse.
> How have you all handled this in the past?

I do not use pulseaudio. I'll spare you the long rant as to why. Suffice
it to say you don't need pulseaudio to use Orca.

I do use two separate sound cards, one for Speakup and the other for
Orca. It's unfortunate, but my other choices pretty much require this.

With the latest Orca, for Gnome 3.2, there's no choice other than Speech
Dispatcher for espeak TTS.

I still use TTSynth for Speakup with the Speakup-Connector, though
espeak works perfectly well with Speakup, of course. But, I just find it easier to keep both
environments very separate. At $10 for a USB audio device (C-Media),
this just isn't much of a burden.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200