Is speakup no longer included in grml releases?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 12 09:54:19 EST 2012

I happen to have just written a wiki  page on using the accessibility
features of the latest grml release. Its on the web site of the
International Association of visually  Impaired Technologists.  See:
http://wiki.iavit.org/index.php/Accessing_grml

I think you may have downloaded an older version of grml though. The current
release does not have large, medium, and small versions. The 32 bit download
is 315Mb.  It should beep at the isolinux prompt and it should play a 4 note
tune through the PC speaker when its finished booting.

Anyway, to answer your questions, the speakup modules have not been removed
but they are no longer built into the kernel. So that means you have to load
them after boot. But that has been made easier because grml now plays a tune
when its done booting.