hardware synth, USB, and udev

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 12 10:16:14 EST 2012

I'm guessing that most hardware speech synths have USB ports now, correct? I
have a tripletalk and it has a USB port and what I've done is to write a
udev rule to  load the speakup_ltlk module when I connect the USB cable.
Linux can't detect that you've connected the serial cable but it can detect
that you've connected the USB cable.  The effect is that speakup starts
automatically when I connect my tripletalk synth to my linux machines.

I was thinking of trying to collect a bunch of these rules to load the
speakup module for different synths when you connect the USB cable of a
hardware synth and seeing if I can get the grml people to include it on
their disk.