still more on bug

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 17 13:35:33 EST 2012

I think all you would need to do is write a device driver -- which is a
little like saying all you need to do is build a big enough rocket and you
can go to the moon. How's that joke go? How do you teach an elephant to
dance the bossinova?first you teach him to samba and from there its easy.

Anyway, 25 years ago, I wrote linux device drivers for a living. But I
haven't written a line of C in anger for 15 years. Not unless you count
commenting out that line in the speakup synth.c program to get past the bug
that started all this.

I intend to try to find a solution for that bug.  I don't want to step on
anybody's toes but I figure the current developers won't mind if I take a
look at that. But you can't barge into an open source project and just take
over. For all we know, there may be top men working on it right now. There's
no point in duplicating effort.  But I know no one is working on the bug I
have been talking about because I've already asked. At one time, I'd have
felt pretty qualified to take this on. Right now, I feel my best
qualifications are that I'm still breathing and willing to give it a try.