still more on bug

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Feb 17 06:30:15 EST 2012

Hello,
I will make a comment on the user space thing. I don't know about the effort
in promoting existing speakup to user space but if one were to talk about
more generally creating a screen reader to work in user space then I am sure
something that would work for many in a satisfactory way could be created,
there are sort of examples already existing showing approaches which could
be used for accessing what is being displayed.

I think YASR using a system of spawning a new shell inside itself and so
catching what is put out to that shell. One advantage of this approach is
that it works on more than Linux, I believe it has been made to work on a
Mac in the terminal window, with FreeBSD text consoles and solaris as well
as Linux. I think though it does mean you need to start the screen reader
for every terminal you wish to use. Also while I think ways have been made
to get YASR work for login it isn't so clear and I haven't got that going
with YASR (I am unclear on what to do). Also it may be worth noting, I don't
know if YASR is still maintained and if it isn't why that would be the case
(IE. is it a technical matter with YASR design or is it developer time).

Another alternative is look at BrlTTY. BrlTTY has screen drivers for
different situations and that is something which could be done for user
space if you want to support more than Linux although I think with BrlTTY
the Linux text console driver may be the most advanced. Certainly on Linux
in a text console BrlTTY seems to work very well, its extremely easy to get
running (either once you have logged in or as a service which starts in the
boot process and so gives access to log in). I don't know whether it would
be possible if a new screen reader were to be done whether to use the same
API as the BrlTTY screen drivers and so potentially make use of that
existing work, its probably more of an issue with licensing than a technical
one if any issue does exist.

I have to say I know little of the difficulties of working in the kernel,
any programming I do is in Python or Java so I am better with user space
stuff. However from a user angle, speakup possibly does need to keep up with
technology, there seems to be an increasing demand for being able to use USB
synths. Serial ports may not be disappearing entirely, but there are classes
of computers (eg. laptops) where serial ports have near enough gone and even
for desktops while serial ports may not be hard to find there may be other
factors in choosing a computer and requiring a serial port possibly is just
imposing an unnecessary restriction on the choice. I won't comment on how
easy it is to add USB support in a kernel level screen reader due to my lack
of knowledge in that area, however I do know that in user space you have
libraries such as libusb which can help a lot in accessing USB devices (look
at BrlTTY which has had USB support for some years now).

Finally what ever route is taken it will be some sort of compromise, if
keeping it in the kernel provides better/more features it may come at the
cost of development being slower than many may like, but putting it in user
space may come at the cost of some features like boot messages not being
accessible with the screen reader.

Michael Whapples