Virtual consoles in Arch

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Dec 25 04:53:48 EST 2012

Robert Spangler  <speakup at linux-speakup.org> wrote:
>One can also use screen for multiple terminals if the console limitation
>becomes an issue.

Alternatively, you can run openvt to execute whatever command you wish on any
virtual console.

It is possible to spawn getty processes on additional virtual consoles from
Systemd by editing the appropriate service file or creating a new one. I don't
know the details, but from a quick inspection of a machine running systemd,
it's clear that the name of the tty is parameterized and that
/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service is used to create them.

What I haven't found is where the actual TTYs, e.g., 1-6, are specified in the
configuration, which is what you need to change.