Hardware for new Linux installs?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Dec 5 23:59:22 EST 2012

I just had a brand new server built, so I feel qualified to answer your
questions.  Write me privately if you want the exact hardware details.  Yes,
it has an onboard serial port.  No, new kernels still have broken serial
support, so that means that you'll be installing with software speech.  I
can't comment on anything other than Debian and Ubuntu, but they both use
ESpeak, so learn to live with it.  The US English voice isn't too terrible
once you get used to it.  I also have little interest in the GUI, but I
think Debian and Ubuntu are your best bets.  I'll leave it to others to
comment on Gnome 3 accessibility and Orca.

In short, what I would recommend is a new machine with Debian Squeeze.
Squeeze still supports hardware speech.  You can then upgrade it to Wheezy
which uses kernel 3.2 and doesn't support hardware speech.  That way at
least you have the old kernel to fall back on and you won't have to do the
install with ESpeak.  Another option might be to move everything to a VPS or
dedicated server and just set up a dual boot Windows and Linux system or run
Linux in a virtual machine.  I must say that I'm very happy with my Debian
server which routinely handles hundreds of email messages and a few regular
ftp connections.  I'm glad I left Gentoo behind, but I read that Arch is
supposed to be good.