Hardware for new Linux installs?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Dec 6 00:29:06 EST 2012

On 12/5/2012 6:21 PM, Kyle wrote:
> I can build Linux systems with your choice of distribution. I build systems
> using mainly Asus motherboards and AMD processors, though I've found
> Gigabyte motherboards to be reliable as well.

I would avoid both of those.  First, I've had better luck with Intel, but
there are some good AMD processors out there.  I personally used two
Gigabyte motherboards and they both gave me nonstop problems.  I mean that
literally.  Every day my box would crash, lock up, or otherwise do something
weird.  I couldn't plug into the USB because it would eventually lock up.  I
had to use two different brands of memory because otherwise it ran extremely
slowly.  I had problems with the ethernet.  Nothing worked right.  It got to
the point that I had to get a VPS because I was tired of losing data all the
time.  I would absolutely not recommend that brand again!  Also, from an
open source prospective, neither motherboard has free network and sound
drivers.  While those brands are OK for a desktop, I wouldn't use them for a
serious server.  I don't think new models still have serial ports.  In terms
of quality, I would rate them as midrange.  Intel is much better, has free
open source drivers and seems to be more reliable.  The first thing I had to
do with the Gigabyte board is replace the onboard NIC with an Intel.

The hardware specs are
> negotiable, and I can build your system for a competative, and usually
> lowest price.

For a typical system, what would that be?  I paid $100 for labor in August
when I had mine built.  Also, remember that shipping will add a lot and
computers are breakable, so make sure you pay for insurance.  If you can
possibly find someone locally to build one for you, that would be much better.

If you are reusing a hard disk, it will take a sizeable
> portion off your price, since the hard drive can be one of the most costly
> parts of a computer.

How do you figure?  First, I wouldn't reuse a hard drive.  They're so cheap
now that it's better to buy at least one new drive.  Second, old IDE drives
aren't really supported by modern boards and SATA drives are much faster.  I
fail to see how you can say that hard drives are costly since I can buy 1 TB
for around $80 to $90 and 3 TB for $150 each.  My motherboard, CPU, case and
PSU were a lot more expensive than the drives.  I went with two RAID arrays,
a RAID 1 and a RAID 5, so I had a total of six drives.  Two were 1 TB and
the rest were 3 TB.  Obviously, that's overkill for most people, but the
point is that drives are incredibly cheap nowadays, especially on Amazon.

As for specs, I generally recommend a quad-core
> processor with 4GB of DDR3 ram in a minimal system, but adding another 4GB
> and using an 8-core processor is surprisingly inexpensive.

No, you don't need 8 cores.  For that matter, you don't really need quad
core, but it doesn't hurt.  I would say 8 GB of RAM is a minimum, and I
would go with 16 GB if you can afford it, depending on what you're using it
for.  I wouldn't go with the I5 or I7 lines.  I would go with Xeon or
something higher end designed for a server.  They're not that expensive at
all and well worth it.  Make sure your motherboard can support your CPU, so
do research before you buy.  If you just want a desktop, 4 GB is more than
enough, but for a server running virtual machines, 8 GB is on the low end.
With that said, I've never ran out of memory with my 8 GB machine.  One
really nice thing is that software compilation is very fast.  I don't
compile kernels, but other programs compile in seconds.

My favorite
> distribution is Arch, because it gives you the flexibility of Gentoo without
> having to build everything from source, and if you like to package software,
> nothing beats the AUR, where you can store your own package build files,
> which are simple Bash scripts, in a searchable database, complete with
> dependency resolution, where other users can easily find them. Feel free to
> contact me off-list if you are interested in discussing the details and
> pricing for your next Linux computer.

With all due respect, I prefer Debian, but that's a preference issue.  I
think Debian has done the most for accessibility.  Remember that the talking
Arch install is NOT official and isn't available from the Arch servers.
Debian has supported completely accessible installs since at least Lenny out
of the box.  You can download any official Debian CD image with the
graphical installer and have Speakup support.  Wheezy will support software
speech.  Gnome 3 is packaged and should be available in Wheezy.  Having used
Gentoo myself, Debian is much less hassle and you can still build packages
from source if you want.  Gentoo and the like take a lot more disk space
because of the overhead.  You need lots of extra build libraries and
development files that a normal Debian system doesn't, just so you can say
that everything is built from source.

Since this person can't give estimated price quotes and he makes some
statements which are just plain wrong, such as that hard drives are costly,
I would look somewhere else to have my machine built.  If you buy the parts
on Amazon and find someone locally, your costs can drop considerably.
Including six drives, case, and everything brand new including labor, my
machine cost around $1,100, but again, that's with six hard drives and
labor.  Without hard drives, it was around $585 if memory serves.  If you
don't care about RAID and you do your own backups, you can get a good 1 TB
drive for $90 or less.  My dad just paid $76.  As always, do your own
research and checking before you buy.  I purposely didn't give the brand of
my motherboard.  It actually isn't Intel, but Intel was highly recommended
by the person who build my machine.  I have used Intel ethernet cards before
and had much better luck than with the onboard.