Help converting pdf to text

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Aug 18 06:15:29 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I've been following the discussion on converting .pdf to plain text and I'm
having a problem of my own.  I used the command line posted here, but I
don't get readable text.  It does convert, but letters are missing and there
are random spaces, making it impossible to follow.  Here is the command line
I'm using:

pdftotext -enc ASCII7 -layout issue1_en.pdf

The file in question seems to have been produced with Scribus.  I've made
sure to upgrade to the latest poppler-utils from Debian testing.  Later
issues don't seem to be garbled as much.  I also tried -raw and passing no
options at all.  If you want to help, please take a look and try your luck:

http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.com/issue1_en.pdf

Any help would be very much appreciated.  Below is a sample of the output
I'm getting:

                   Is s ue #1 - June 2007

              fulcircl
                l    e
              T H E U B U N T U C O M M U N IT Y M A G A Z IN E

         D EL A ND UBUNTU
    D EL BEG INS SH IPPING UBUNTU M A CH INES!

SCRIBUS :                 H O W TO :                       INST L :
                                                                A L
LA RN TH E BA S ICS
  E                        L UX D I ECTO RI S