changing speakup speed in console revisited

Jason Miller hobbgoblin79 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 19:00:18 EDT 2012

Hello, sorry for the delay. in responding, but I've had my main computer
go to crap, and the backup I've been using is severely buggy. I figured
how to get the speakup voices to read faster, to a point, using
something like:
fast_test 2 40 40
at the end of the english voice files in
/usr/share/speakup-data/voices

Now I have a couple of other problems. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 for the
time being, until I make a switch on a good computer once I get one, to
Ubuntu 12.04. I use speakup as my voices for Orca and I can't get them
all to speed up. I can get the en-us to speed up, and the scottish, and
most of the default british ones as well. But I can't get the one that
is called Default en, or just the plain default to speed up in a
graphical desktop. I've swapped out the "default" and replaced it with
en-us and renamed it default but I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

Now the other issue, I was asked why I'm not using espeakup in the
console. The reason is this. When I do a
sudo apt-get install alsa-utils speakup-tools espeakup
I get alsa-utils and speakup-tools are already the newest versions. When
it gets to espeakup, I get this:

Setting up espeakup (1:0.71-1) ...
update-rc.d: warning: espeakup start runlevel arguments (2 3 4 5) do not
match LSB Default-Start values (S)
update-rc.d: warning: espeakup stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
* Starting Speakup/espeak connector espeakup  Unable to open the
softsynth device: Device or resource busy
[fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript espeakup, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing espeakup (--configure):
espeakup

Now, for building it. I don't know if what I found is anywhere near a
current version. The versions I tried building are these ones -
espeakup_0.71.original, and
williamh-espeakup-0.71-115-gd95ee07

when I try both, I get this after typing make, or sudo make

cc -MMD -Wall -c -o espeakup.o espeakup.c
In file included from espeakup.c:27:
espeakup.h:27:30: warning: espeak/speak_lib.h: No such file or directory
espeakup.c:38: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’
before ‘audio_mode’
espeakup.c: In function ‘main’:
espeakup.c:161: warning: implicit declaration of function
‘espeak_Terminate’
make: *** [espeakup.o] Error 1

I've located sepak_lib.h.gzon my computer, unpacked it, but have no idea
where to specifically stuff it to retry.. espeak/ is a pretty vague
directory, and there a re a few that begin with that, or have that in
it's path...

Any help would be more than greatly appreciated, as the console speed I
can achieve by hitting speakup+6 using speech-dispatcher is way to slow.
Am I missing somethign obvious, or what? Thanks for any help.

Jason