best cli web browser & email programs

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Thu Apr 26 15:29:50 EDT 2012

On the web browsing front, I was toying around with an idea for a
while that I hadn't had a chance to really explore yet, but it should
work. I have a virtual machine on my server box running debian with
speakup/gnome. I also have an old laptop 266 MHz, 96 megs of ram that
won't run gnome, but is the only thing I have right now if I want to
go portable. So what I was thinking of is to install a x terminal on the
laptop, forward x over ssh from the virtual machine, and use firefox,
or icewheasel as debian calls it from the laptop, but actually running
on the much more powerful and roomy virtual machine. Icewheasel/orca
doesn't come close to windows in my experience, but should do the job
on most, if not all sites if you're patient in navigating
pages. Muttering unmentionable words under your breath seems to help
too some times (grin).

Once I've had a chance to look into this, and try doing it, I can
report back if you want.

Greg