espeakup and sound cards?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Mar 5 18:28:25 EST 2011

Steve Holmes  <speakup at braille.uwo.ca> wrote:

>As for other sound alternatives, whatever happened to OSS4.  I had
>heard comments that it was even better than pulse.  I notice that none
>of the speech systems I know of implement OSS4 AFAIK.

OSS is going the way of the dodo, as the cliche has it. According to the last
Linux audio summit, as reported on LWN, OSS is going to be removed eventually
from the kernel, leaving only ALSA OSS emulation.

ALSA has been the future of sound in Linux for a very long time now, and that
appears to be settled.