espeakup and sound cards?

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 22:45:22 EST 2011

According to /etc/asound.conf, alsa is routing everything through pulse.
But if I blacklist snd_pcm_oss, espeakup doesn't work at all. Before I
blacklisted snd_pcm_oss, espeakup did start, but then stopped speaking
once I logged into GNOME. I tried installing ossp in an attempt to
replace snd_pcm_oss, but I get the same result. As for
speech-dispatcher, unless it falls back to alsa if it isn't compiled for
pulse and the audio-output-method is set to pulse in the config file, it
should be using pulse directly here, and it isn't complaining.