speakup with Fedora live CD or Fedora spin-off?

Al Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Thu Jul 28 12:04:23 EDT 2011

Greetings!

My understanding is that the kernel now includes Speakup, and figured
this would be true of the version of the kernel used in Fedora 15.  I
therefore hoped that I could boot up the live CD so that it would use
Speakup with my TripleTalk LT.  So, when the CD was booting, I hit tab,
typed

speakup.synth=ltlk

as I would have when using the rescue CD of the speakup-modified
variants of earlier Fedora releases, and hit enter.  The CD apparently
booted, but there was no speech out of my synthesizer.

I tried typing a space after tabbing, as I used to have to do.  It
didn't work.  If I typed "text" or "text linux" before typing the
speakup.synth=ltlk parameter, it stopped booting the CD and booted from
the hard drive instead.

I could not get Orca to work, either.  My Linux machine has one of those
sound cards that gets muted, it seems.  Orca also failed to come up even
on my Windows machine, though, which is much newer and whose sound card
*does* talk with, say, revent versions of Vinux.

Has anybody gotten the Fedora 15 live CD to use Speakup with a hardware
synth?  Alternatively, has anybody done it with the Blag spin-off of
Fedora, which the Free Software Foundation includes among those
distributions of which it approves as completely free?

Thanks for any advice.

Al