Speakup Configuration Strangeness?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sat Jul 16 12:27:46 EDT 2011

Well, while this behavior is still an anoying mystery, I now know how to
reproduce it.
OK, seemingly only 1 of maybe only 6 of us with DecTalk U S B.
Since I prefer certain letters-and-symbols pronounced differently, I edited
charactors.  Sure I can type
speakupconf load
My changes are in affect, however at that point, I will not hear top, bottom,
left-and-right, while in review.
Even more weird is this one.  Once my config is loaded-and-I am in ssh to
Shellworld, my arrow-and-cursor keys have a 1 charactor delay, but another ssh
site looks normal.  Iff I reload the DecTalk with the following alias, to get
around that nasty 4second slow delay,
alias reload-dectalk '/usr/bin/sudo  /sbin/modprobe   -r speakup_dectlk;
/usr/bin/sudo  /sbin/modprobe   speakup_dectlk '
alias rd '/usr/bin/sudo  /sbin/modprobe   -r speakup_dectlk; /usr/bin/sudo
/sbin/modprobe   speakup_dectlk '
Once I reload DecTalk, sure I must re-ajust all my settings, pitch, rate, and
volume.  But now my altered config is not loaded, and so we have zehd and 9
instead of niner, ETC.
My large question in all of this, why would essentially a key-label dictionary
slow down an ssh connection--and how can I have my config load without any
sloer behavior?  On the local hard-drive, I notice nothing weird.  Just
recently I got AT&T Uverse, went from 3 to 12mb.
The changes I made in the config I coppied to both places--and-I certainly
cannot set a good value so pitch goes up on capitalization.
And here I was thinking I needed to change a terminal type to vt220 or linux,
from vt100.
Can some1 please shed some light on these happenings.  Right now I have no
other installed synthesizer, but I have a registered version of TT synth.
Thanks in advance
Hart