Can One Add Speakup Consoles to a Standard Deb Installation?

Albert Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Wed Jul 13 16:51:26 EDT 2011

I suspect my sound problems are similar to yours.  I don't know if they're
related to Pulseaudio or not, since, among other things, I couldn't get
software speech for GRML to work a version or two ago.

In this connection, I also do not get sound when I run recent Vinux live
CD's.  There are instructions in the Vinux quickstart guide that bring it
up, though.  I use ctrl-alt-t to go into the terminal, type volume_keys and
press enter, wait a bit, then press alt-y and press enter.  If memory serves
from two weeks ago, you then can use alt-windows key-right-arrow to raise
the volume and alt-windows key-left-arrow to lower it.  Orca and Speakup are
at the same volume.

I hope this is useful.

Al