A few questions regarding Speakup

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Dec 30 19:53:44 EST 2011

Robert Cole  <speakup at braille.uwo.ca> wrote:
>The garbled voice does not take place until I install GNOME under Arch.
>I know that PulseAudio will be installed with GNOME under Arch. I
>completely uninstalled GNOME and then simply installed the
>pulseaudio-alsa and pulseaudio packages, and the same problem occurred
>with the garbled voice at startup.

Can you remove Pulseaudio without affecting any of the Gnome-related packages?

Debian's package dependencies allow you to install Gnome without Pulseaudio,
but Arch may be different. If it is being started at boot time, you could
remove it from your init scripts, while leaving the Pulseaudio package in
place.