A few questions regarding Speakup

Robert Cole rkcole72984 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 21:51:57 EST 2011

Hello, Jason, all.

Jason, unfortunately I am not completely familiar with the Arch package
manger (pacman) just yet. I tried to use ignore options to ignore the
'pulseaudio' and 'pulseaudio-alsa' packages when installing GNOME, but
it seems that there are too many other packages which have PulseAudio as
a dependency. There may be a way around this, but I do not know what it
is at this time.

I did, however, do a little bit of poking around in /etc. I found a file
named asound.conf, and I am posting its contents [1] at the end of this
message in case it would be of any interest to anyone (it is not too
large of a file at all). It seems that this file instructs the system to
use PulseAudio as the default sound server. Well, I figured I'd just try
to clear out the file (after backing it up) using 'echo >
/etc/asound.conf' to see what would happen after reboot. When the system
rebooted, eSpeak sounded just as clear as it did in the initial
installation. I also loaded GNOME, and Orca worked just fine.

In all honesty, I have no idea if anything depends on the asound.conf
file. All I know is that emptying its contents made everything work like
normal. I haven't done any further testing to see if I broke anything by
the action which I took. GNOME loads fine, Orca loads and works just
fine, and Speakup loads and works as normal at startup.

Can anyone shed any light on what exactly the asound.conf file is for,
and if I would need it? I will also continue researching it.

I want to say that this issue is solved, but I really don't know if it
is or not as I have no idea of clearing the contents of asound.conf is a
good idea or not.

In any case, thanks for all of the responses to this point.

Take care.

[1] /etc/asound.conf:
# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.!default {