Silencing Boot Messages / missing quiet parameter?

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Sun Dec 18 02:29:39 EST 2011

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:06:14PM -0500, luke wrote:
> > I have a file called /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf, which contains:
> > options speakup synth=soft
> >
> > I have tried:
> >
> > options speakup synth=soft quiet=1
>
> That's correct syntax, and should work. I don't understand though why
> you're specifying the synth name. If you run modinfo speakup, and look

Me either--the way you describe is how I used to do it now that you've
dredged the memory for me.  However, I'm not specifying the synth like
that--Samuel's squeeze install image set it up that way, for reasons
which I assume were good at the time.

I'll try doing it as you suggest.
(it's been a long time since I had to set one of these up, and I've
obviously forgot several things)

Anyway, I've now tried it, and it doesn't work.
speakup and speakup_soft are loaded.
the config file which came with the kernel, claims that all of
speakup is modularized.
Kernel is 2.6.32-5-686 SMP.

Also, it has the paste-hangs-system-sometimes problem, which is very bad.

It seems to be version 3.1.5, according to /sys/speakup/version.

Luke