Silencing Boot Messages / missing quiet parameter?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Dec 18 01:15:13 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:06:14PM -0500, luke wrote:
> I have a file called /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf, which contains:
>
> options speakup synth=soft
>
> I have tried:
>
> options speakup synth=soft quiet=1

That's correct syntax, and should work. I don't understand though why
you're specifying the synth name. If you run modinfo speakup, and look
at the parameters list, you'll see:

parm:           synth:Synth to start if speakup is built in. (charp)

I take it your speakup is fully modularized, else you wouldn't be
playing with configuring it in modprobe.d. In that case passing the
synth option makes no sense to me any way. If you're wanting to start
speakup and use soft synth, which is what I think you want, then try
doing what I do:

1. In your /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf file put

options speakup quiet=1

In your /etc/modules file, put

speakup_soft

Then, speakup should start quietly at boot with soft being the default synth,
at least that's how it works for me on multiple squeeze systems.

> The first word I hear on boot is "failed!".  I think it is part of this
> sequence:
>
> "
> Setting up ALSA...done.
> Starting Speakup/espeak connector : espeakup failed!
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server socket
> jack server is not running or cannot be started

Yes, the espeakup init script is failing because espeakup can't
connect to jack, which I don't have here either. Don't worry about
that, it still works like it should, for me anyway. HTH.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1