Silencing Boot Messages / missing quiet parameter?

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Sat Dec 17 22:06:14 EST 2011

I have a file called /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf, which contains:

options speakup synth=soft

I have tried:

options speakup synth=soft quiet=1

and:

options speakup synth=soft
options speakup_soft quiet=1

Am I doing something wrong here with the first version?

The first word I hear on boot is "failed!".  I think it is part of this
sequence:

"
Setting up ALSA...done.
Starting Speakup/espeak connector : espeakup failed!
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Setting console screen modes.
Skipping font and keymap setup (handled by console-setup).
Setting up console font and keymap...done.
Setting kernel variables ...done.
Setting sensors limits.
startpar: service(s) returned failure: espeakup ... failed!
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
"

Haven't tried to diagnose the espeak thing yet--speakup is working, so I'm
not sure what's up with that.

Luke