Espeakup, orca and pulseaudio

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat Apr 9 06:38:07 EDT 2011

Hello,
With gnome 3.0 on archlinux, pulseaudio seems to have become a
dependency and is the default system for sound when using gnome.

My general view has been pulseaudio solves problems which I never faced
and creates problems where none existed before. This has been
reconfirmed by my experiments with gnome 3.0 which has required the use
of pulseaudio.

The issue created which I need some help with: I wish to have orca
running in gnome and I wish to use espeakup in the text consoles. The
real issue seems to be getting espeakup working with pulseaudio, as when
I log in using my standard user account speech from espeakup seems to
stop working and error messages get spewed out on tty1. I get a feeling
its to do with espeakup getting a connection with pulseaudio as I have
tried it with the ibmtts speakup connector and that does say that the
connection is refused. Both of these I believe are going through the
pulseaudio alsa emulation layer.

Ideally I would simply like to remove pulseaudio as my plain alsa set up
before worked fine and caused me no head aches in configuration. However
I have not been able to find anywhere in gnome 3.0 to tell it to use ALSA.

I suppose another solution might be to try and get pulseaudio working,
but it really seems to be more complicated than its worth at the moment.
Anyone know how to configure espeakup and pulseaudio to work together?

Michael Whapples