Espeakup, orca and pulseaudio

Albert Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Sat Apr 9 07:58:04 EDT 2011

I'm writing this privately because it seems the message I just sent to the
Orca list overlaps yours in good part.

In perhaps arguable defense of Pulseaudio, I note that, if I'm not mistaken,
Vinux uses it and it seems to function.  I recall that Steve Holmes got it
working somewhat on his Arch system, but came away not wanting to use it.
Still, I'd think it should work on Arch if it does on Vinux.

One good thing that might have resulted from using Pulseaudio is this:  when
using Vinux, I could hear Orca at the same time I was listening to old-time
radio shows.  I couldn't get this using Arch.  I don't know enough to say
that Pulseaudio's the reason, but if it is, that would be one more incentive
to get the damned thing working right if possible.  What are your thoughts?

Al