questions about text-based e-mail

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Wed Sep 22 02:26:44 EDT 2010

Call me simplistic but why can't you have an alias to load a specific
set of configuration data when you launch mutt?
It won't help you on other virtual consoles however having speakup track
which console you are on and pull settings whilst highly useful would be
an incredible increase in code complexity.

Having speakup in the kernel is useful however it makes reading files
and applying settings tricky, as this stuff is often better done in
userspace.

Orca can probably do better at this as it is a framework built into
gnome and can do stuff based on ap events, which is the way
Windows-based screen readers usually function.

If we hook the keyboard driver and trap when vc switching occurs
something might be possible but it does put overhead on the system. Just
my thoughts.
People with more knowledge on kernel and Linux internals feel free to
debunk my theories.
Regards, Kerry.