questions about text-based e-mail

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Wed Sep 22 02:16:36 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:48:01AM +1000, Jason White wrote:
> For anybody who is using Mutt but isn't aware of this option, you can
> add the following line to your ~/.muttrc file:
> set braille_friendly=yes

	I like the "unset help" for getting rid of the help menu.  I
also like the ignore, unignore, folder_format, and hdr_order settings
for cutting down the column noise when working with mail folders, and
restricting the header fields to what you want, where you want them,
respectively.  Once you know that the question mark is for help and q is
for quit, the menu is just a pain to listen to all the time, and you can
cut down on all the timestamp info when navigating mail folders.
Myself, I only like to hear who wrote what and in which mailing list, so
weeding out header fields like date and user agent is also nice on the
ears.  Now if speakupconf could just save and load a filename, we could
set up specific, program-wise speakup configurations that could be
scripted to load when a particular program is in use...turn on the
greater-than sign for reading messages with quoted text in mutt, and
turn it off again when exitting without trying to guess what's in
/sys/accessibility/speakup/punct_some and modifying that.

				Michael