questions about text-based e-mail

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Sep 21 21:48:01 EDT 2010

Gaijin <gaijin at clearwire.net> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 09:39:12PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
>
> 	I used to use slrn for news, as it seemed to have the most
> features back when I had a newsfeed...back in 02.  Havent looked at
> either tin or slrn since losing my sight, so couldn't make a
> recommendation, but I second the mutt recommendation.  Love it I keep
> learning new things about it all the time, and it works fantastically
> with SpeakUP

For anybody who is using Mutt but isn't aware of this option, you can
add the following line to your ~/.muttrc file:
set braille_friendly=yes
Then whenever a message is displayed, the cursor is placed on the first
line of the body text. This is great for braille displays, but it should
be helpful to Speakup users as well.

For news, my current favourite is Gnus under Emacs, especially with
Emacspeak (although I might be flamed for saying that on the Speakup
list). Needless to say, emacs works very well with the braille display
too.