What is .WITH. the Debian amd64 kernel and SpeakUP?

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Thu Sep 16 13:43:44 EDT 2010

There seems to be a bug in speakup running on quad core processors
which produces garbled speech output occasionally.  I have not been
able to nailed down an exact situation which will consistantly produce
the effect but it happens regularly.  There must be some lock which is
not set and therefore the text gets into the output buffer in a
disordered fashion.  Reviewing the screen will of course read it
correctly.

   Kirk

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Gaijin wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 07:38:10AM -0500, Christopher Brannon wrote:
>> 1. Which synth are you using?
>
> 	Both the speakup_ltlk, loaded from /etc/modules, and
> speakup_soft, loaded from /etc/rc.local with the commands:
>
> rmmod speakup_ltlk
> modprobe speakup_soft
> espeakup
> speakupconf load
>

>> 2. Which version of the kernel are you using?  (uname -a)
>
> Linux rivensight 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Wed Aug 25 14:28:12 UTC 2010 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> 	It's the unaltered Debian Squeeze kernel that came from the
> amd64 installation disk, and I'm told, includes the speakup modules
> compiled into the kernel, and running on a I7-930 Quad-Core CPU on a
> SuperMicro X8STE motherboard with 24G's of Kingston memory.  I use the
> Orca screen reader for the GUI.  I'm surprized that it's a 686 kernel,
> but that's what Debian gave us for the 64-bit, Core-2 platforms, so I
> gather that it's the correct one.
>

>> 3. Which version of the Speakup package are you using?>
>
>> From /var/log/dmesg Sorry for not word-wrapping):
>
> [    6.214497] speakup: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
> [    6.217153] speakup 3.1.3: initialized
> [    6.217157] synth name on entry is: ltlk
> [    6.217339] initialized device: /dev/synth, node (MAJOR 10, MINOR 25)
> [    6.217792] speakup_ltlk: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
> [    6.218396] synth probe
> [    6.218398] Ports not available, trying to steal them
> [    6.220396] LiteTalk: ttyS0, Driver Version 2.10
> [    6.255596] LiteTalk: ROM version: <FF>2.42A
>
> 	After the above, the loop module loads, and the line in
> /etc/modules is simply "speakup_ltlk", which appears to work just fine
> when I bother to turn on the LiteTalk.  Since I don't appear to have any
> problems booting up, I leave the thing switched off.  The synth is
> connected to ttyS0.  ttyS1 is unused (no plug), ttyS2 is a US Robotics
> PCI modem, and ttyS3 is on a Axxon searial/parallel PCIE card, as the
> mobo came without a friggin printer port.  Both cards are reported to
> work flawlessly with Linux.  Lemme know if you need the output from
> something like lshw or something for this...
>
> 				Michael

phone: (519) 661-3061