arch linux and orca

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Wed Sep 8 17:09:29 EDT 2010

The thing I like best about archlinux  is that it is a smoothly
evolving distribution which abolishes the idea of different versions,
or releases. Every other distro I can think of follow the idea that a
given version remains more or less fixed until a new version is
prepared and released,  after which it remains stationary while another
version starts to be prepared. In biology they call that "punctuated
equilibrium" but in Linux, it divides the user community into the timid
and the bold, and creates havoc for the abrupt transition from Version
N to Version N+1.  Archlinux is based on a "rolling release" notion, in
which the distro is constantly adjusted to reflect the best available
technology, so that if you use archlinux, you are by definition using
current technology, assuming you keep in touch with the archives, a
very simply thing to do.

Chuck