arch linux and orca

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 07:44:27 EDT 2010

>Message: 4
>Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 10:22:37 -0400
>From: Christopher Moore <chris.w1gm at gmail.com>
>To: speakup at braille.uwo.ca
>Subject: arch linux and orca
>
>Hello,
>Has anyone attempted to run gnome / orca screen reader on arch linux?
>I'm going to give this a go but was looking for advice on
>potential pitfalls to avoid.

I'm using gnome/orca on archlinux.  It's not that difficult to install (it can't be if I did it successfully).  Michael Wapples had an audio tutorial on the process, but it was pretty straightforward.  Pretty much follow the arch beginner's installation guide on installing gnome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then you just need to go through the standard initial orca configuration the first time you run it and make the .orbitrc file (and modify sudoers if you use sudo) to obtain access to admin applications.

The arch directions may seem daunting but they're not really that bad.