Fwd: Kumar Appaiah: Browsing with Elinks and using hooks

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Wed Sep 1 14:31:57 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 09:01:42AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> Sorry for the follow-up but I forgot my other big issue with text
> browsers.

	I use edbrowse, myself. While I *could* use it for online
shopping/banking, I usually just go back to Firefox in Windows, and
because SourceForge isn't updating it's version of edbrowse, Debian
hasn't been keeping up with what's current.  It still works well with
most websites, using the SeaMonkey java libraries to keep up with the
Jones'es for java support.  It takes a little getting used to, but once
you know a page layout, you can navigate as fast as if you were sighted,
or you could simply script in a macro to handle the navigation for you.
Edbrowse's Google macro is a fine example of accessing and cleaning up
google's web pages to leave you with only the meat of the search results
and nothing else.  Just type:

	<gg (search criteria)

...and edbrowse will fill in the search criteria as if you'd loaded the
page already, then filter out the results from the page headers and
footers.

				Michael

--
Linux User: 	177869                                       Powered by Intel