Fwd: Kumar Appaiah: Browsing with Elinks and using hooks

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Sep 1 12:01:42 EDT 2010

Sorry for the follow-up but I forgot my other big issue with text
browsers.  I have come to really imbrase the structural navigation
features used in Window-Eyes, Orca and other GUI type screen readers.
Frankly, there's no faster way to get around a page with lots of
headers and tables than to use those shortcut commands to find the
table of bus routes, for example.  Not to mention the actual table
navigation, itself where you can read down the fifth column of a table
for instance.  I can't see any way to do this in elinks without having
to grope around the whole page, listening for when a table of entries
starts.  I suppose a script could be written to parse tha contents of
a table and turn itinto a spreadsheet to be read with OpenOffice Calc
but what was really accomplished with that? I might as well just pop
intoFirefox and read it that way.

For those of you who make that much use of text browsers, I really
question how much you can actually get out of that content
efficiently.  To me, the lack of good javascript support and
structural navigation are near show stoppers for text browsers.

I am open minded enough to hear ideas on how you guys do it though;
maybe some clever scripting can make this possible.