Fwd: Kumar Appaiah: Browsing with Elinks and using hooks

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Sep 1 11:53:39 EDT 2010

Hey thanks for the link; it was interesting to grasp the general
concept on what he was doing.  My biggest hangup with using text
browsers like elinks is the lack of decent javascript support.  So
many websites I venture to end up not working at all with elinks.
Everything from just sloppy unworkable rendering to an out and out
statement from the site indicating that "Your browser won't work with
our site.  Pleast get a more modern browser." or similar type
messages.  Some cases, I've ended up with a basically blank page that
elinks can't render at all.  Last time I checked, phppgadmin, a web
based tool to manage postgresql databases, completely crashed elinks!

I like to use it for simple things like most blogs and this scripting
might put more life back into it.  I already know perl and would be
interested in seeing how I can integrate perl scripts instead of
having to learn yet another scripting language right now.  I'm in the
process of studying HTML, PHP and database systems just so I can find
another job in this fucked up economy of ours so hesitate to get mired
down in learning more stuff that I can't really take to the job market
yet.

Does anyone have a good idea where to learn more about elinks
internals and scripting support? Last time I looked, I pretty much
found little in the man page for it.