If bash can, why not Speakup?

pj at pjb.com.au pj at pjb.com.au
Thu Nov 18 01:31:48 EST 2010

I wrote:
> Presumably by writing something to somewhere in
> /sys/accessibility/speakup/ (or /proc/speakup ?)
> ... It might be possible to do it with a vim script
>   http://www.vim.org/scripts/

It should be possible; e.g. the obviousmode.vim script:
  http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=2212
    Clearly indicate visually whether Vim is in insert mode via
    the StatusLine highlight group.  When you go into insert mode,
    the status line color changes.

and indeed in:
  http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/usr_41.html#vim-script-intro:
there are "mode" and "writefile" functions available ...

Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au       pj at pjb.com.au      (03) 6278 9410
"Was der Meister nicht kann,   vermöcht es der Knabe, hätt er
 ihm immer gehorcht?"   Siegfried to Mime, from Act 1 Scene 2