If bash can, why not Speakup?

pj at pjb.com.au pj at pjb.com.au
Wed Nov 17 22:15:58 EST 2010

William Hubbs wrote:
> You can disable that line by putting the following line in your
> ~/.vimrc:   set noruler

Thank you :-)

> > > to track whether I'm in insert or command mode, i.e. it would
> > > sure help if Speakup could give me a differently pitched voice
> > Good point :-)  It might need some help from the vim folk...
> Yes, something like this would take modifications to vim to make
> it communicate to speakup some how, and I'm not sure what that
> would involve since I haven't looked at the vim code at all.

Presumably by writing something to somewhere in
/sys/accessibility/speakup/ (or /proc/speakup ?)
I don't see a /sys/accessibility/speakup/pitch
but something else might do.

It might be possible to do it with a vim script
  http://www.vim.org/scripts/
  http://vim.sf.net
and then eventually to get that into the vim-scripts package...

Peter

http://www.pjb.com.au       pj at pjb.com.au      (03) 6278 9410
"Was der Meister nicht kann,   vermöcht es der Knabe, hätt er
 ihm immer gehorcht?"   Siegfried to Mime, from Act 1 Scene 2