If bash can, why not Speakup?

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Thu Nov 18 17:10:03 EST 2010

[Hello, let's try this again.]

	Hello.  I think there's a point of confusion here.  When you're in
vim, whether you're in emacs mode or vim mode, the communication between
your terminal and vim is direct.  That is, bash has no notion of what
you're doing when you're inside vim.
	Having said that, the typical historical vi user, and  vim is really
emulating vi mode whenit's in vim mode, never knows wheteher they're in
insert mode or command mode.  To get around that, you hit escape a few
times, since hitting escape puts you in command mode and, if you're already
in command mode, it causes the terminal to beep.  So, when in doubt, hit
escape twice, and you should either get 1 or 2 beeps from the terminal,
depending on whether you were already in command mode, or if you  went from
insert mode to command mode. And, if vim has a silent mode, turn that off,
so you'll get the appropriate beeps.
	So, Janina is right, you don't need anything special from Vim,, except
for it to beep the terminal, and you don't need anything special from
Speakup.
Hope that helps.

-thanks
-Brian